Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fav's & Flops Series Drugstore Mascara

Hey Everyone! Today is the first part of an all new series that I am starting. The Favs and Flops. 



The first part to this series is all about drugstore mascaras. Boy oh Boy do I have some to dish about! I currently have 9 different Drugstore Mascaras, I know I should be ashamed of myself. So Lets Get Started!

Lets begin with My favs!

1. Covergirl Lashblast Clump Crusher Mascara - This mascara has been tried and proven to be a fantastic mascara! I love the formula, it is not a very wet formula but it is not to drying either. The wand applicator is slightly curved with short rubber bristles. I feel with these bristles that you are able to really work the mascara into your lashes and build up the volume. I have mine in the color Very Black, the color is very pigmented and is a great black mascara. The name is very true to what the product is named for there is no clumps with this mascara. I do think that the staying power is great it lasts a whole day with no running or flaking. Overall This mascara is great! I have already repurchased it so this mascara will forever be a staple in my collection.


2. Revlon Lash Potion - This mascara is relatively new on the market. I found this a couple of months back when it first came out and to be honest the packaging is what drew me to it. As you will see later in this post I have never been to fond of Revlon Mascaras, However this one proved me wrong. I have loved this mascara and I have been using it for a few weeks now. The formula is a wet formula and provides a lot of volume for your lashes, but the thing I love the most about this mascara is the lengthening effect that it has on your lashes. The Lash Potion has a great wand and it is  kind of large, at first I did not think I would like the wand but it grew on me very quickly.  This  product is Great! I would recommend this to anyone! 


3. L'Oreal Voluminous False Fiber Lashes Black Lacquer - I have used the mascara for sometime now and I continue to switch to other mascaras however whenever I pull this one out again I fall back in love with it again. The formula is a dryer formula and the color is great. The mascara provides great length to your lashes however the volume is something that you do have to build up. The wand is very thin and the bristles are very  short but this does make it very easy to work the product into your lashes and build up the volume. Great product and I would repurchase this again. 


4. Maybelline Mega Plush Volume Express - All over the blogs and You Tube this mascara did not get great reviews, on a whim I decided to just give it a try and much to my surprise I really Like this mascara. It is not very pigmented but it does not flake or run after several hours of wearing it. The formula does keep the lashes very soft to the touch, which I think this is my favorite thing about this mascara. I hate to feel my lashes and they feel like they are going to break off but this formula leaves them feeling soft almost as if your not wearing mascara. The wand is a larger wand and the bristles are okay the only thing I do not particularly care for is that the wand is flexible and is able to move. I know they designed this to allow you to have the freedom to move the wand and work the product into your lashes, however I do not care for it. Overall I would recommend this to anyone it's definitely worth a shot.


Now for My Flops:

1. L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes - This mascara was AWFUL! I do not recommend this to anyone! I purchased this because the marketing of this was to make your eyelashes appear to sparkle as if you had diamonds on your lashes. This mascara is full of glitter! As I was wearing this flakes of glitter would get in my eye and it caused my eyes to water and it was just hot mess all the way around. I do not recommend this to anyone!


2. Revlon Photoready 3D Volume - I purchased this mascara because of the wand. I love wands with short rubber bristles, but this mascara formula is not good. I did not get any volume from this product at all and it was very drying. I was hanging on to it and I would come back to it and every time I would very disappointed. The color payoff is not great however the staying power is very good. 


3. Maybelline The Rocket Volume Express - I have heard soooo many good things about this mascara online from beauty gurus so I ran out and bought it. MAN o MAN was I so disappointed! The formula is really really wet and it takes forever to dry and I feel like I am always smearing this mascara all over my eyelids! The brush has the short rubber bristles, as I mentioned I love, but the bristles are so short I feel that this mascara leaves me with like three lashes that are full of clumps. It may work better for other people but it just did not work for me and I was really disappointed in this mascara. Although the packaging is cute and I love the blue and pink colors together!


4. Rimmel Volume Flash Scandaleyes - This is by far the worst mascara that I have ever used from the drugstore. The formula is awful it clumps and runs all over the place. The brush is HUGE and has really long bristles, this does not allow you to work the brush into the lashes to build volume. The lengthening that it provides the lashes is okay however I just can't get past how big this brush. This was really hard to work with and I will NOT be repurchasing this.


5. Cover Girl Flamed Out Mascara -  I have only had this mascara for about a month now. I was really excited to buy it and try it out. I love the formula, it does not flake or run even on the most humid of days. The thing that makes this a flop is the wand. The wand is an hourglass shape, this prevents you from being able to work the mascara into lashes and build the volume and length in the center. The inner and outer corners of your lashes are fine but the centers are not even like the rest of your lashes. I do like the bristles just wish the wand was shaped differently. I had to make this a flop for that reason. 

I hope that you all enjoyed this first installment of my Favs & Flops! Please leave me comments if you have any questions or have any requests for the Favs & Flops series. 


2 comments:

  1. great review! I am still learning what kind I like and trying out a few mascaras too - got any waterproof mascara recommendation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie- I do Have some recommendations. I have the clump crusher by cover girl in waterproof too and I love it. Also If you want a high end that is pretty good and it is water proof try the Benefit They're Real Mascara...That one is awesome too! Thanks for the feedback!!!

    ReplyDelete